The Sri Chinmoy Centre organizes free meditation classes, workshops and music programs in Queens, NY on a regular basis.
We have several 4-week courses scheduled for April and May, in Jamaica Hills, Queens:
April – May:
- Thursdays, 7-8pm, April 16, 23, 30, May 7
- Sundays, 3-4:30pm, April 19, 26, May 3 & 10
May – June:
- Thursdays, 7-8pm, May 28, June 4, 11, 18
- Saturdays, 3-4:30pm, May 30, Jun 6, 13, 20
All Jamaica Hills classes take place at:
160-23 84th Dr. (at 161st St.)
(Enter through the right side door)
Subway: F train to Parsons Blvd.
- To register, kindly call 212-380-8153 and leave your name, phone number and which course you would like to attend. This will complete your reservation.
- If these classes don’t work for your schedule, kindly leave your details using the form below (or by calling 212-380-8153), and we’ll be in touch once the next series is scheduled.
- Estaremos ofreciendo clases de meditación en español gratuitas en Queens.
The Oneness-Heart Centre: our meditation centre in Queens
Our Queens meditation location, which Sri Chinmoy named The Oneness-Heart Centre when he inaugurated it in 2004, was created for the ethnically diverse community in Queens.
Introductory meditation classes are offered in English, Spanish and Bengali. Advanced meditation courses are also taught for those who wish to deepen their meditation practice and find out how to make meditation and spirituality a core part of their lives. The Centre is easily accessible through public transportation.
Video: Mahatapa Palit talks about Queens meditation classes and the Oneness-Heart Centre
Students of Sri Chinmoy (as well as those just beginning to meditate) meet weekly for group meditation, singing and just plain fun at this small and beautiful centre. Weekly sessions where students learn to sing and play Sri Chinmoy’s music are a big draw. Newcomers can also attend meditation events at our nearby beautiful meditation garden.
Our centre is inspired by the teachings of Sri Chinmoy, a modern-day spiritual Master who lived in Briarwood for almost 45 years until his passing in 2007. More about Sri Chinmoy
Our class instructors
Mahatapa Palit, an educator by profession, was born in India. She teaches marketing and entrepreneurship at the Borough of Manhattan Community College. Mahatapa works closely with the Bengali community in Queens, and offers meditation classes in Bengali as well as English.
All of our meditation classes are sponsored by the Sri Chinmoy Centre
Other events we offer
We frequently offer free concerts of meditative music, and many different kinds of artistic and cultural events; Sri Chinmoy was always looking for new ways to offer spirituality and inner peace into people’s lives, and we also try and do the same! Be sure to ask about any upcoming events when you get in touch with us….
Sri Chinmoy also felt that sports and meditation were natural complements to each other. We offer many running races in the local area where the public can come and participate or cheer on runners:
- Our Saturday morning 2-miler at nearby Jamaica High School
- We also organise races ranging from 5k to marathon distance in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Lower Hudson Valley – check out our race schedule!
Sri Chinmoy’s conviction that human potential is limitless has also led us to become involved in the world of ultradistance running. We started organising races in 1977 – our first race was a 10-miler, but then over the years we have been organising longer and longer races. Now every summer members of our centre organise the longest race in the world – the annual 3,100 mile race – which takes place around nearby Thomas Edison Vocational High School between June and August every summer. We recommend checking out the recent documentary 3100: Run and Become about the spiritual dimension of running that heavily features the 3100 Mile Race (available on iTunes • Amazon • Google Play– see trailer below)
Visit our enterprises!
If you’d like to talk to someone about meditation or the events we offer, or just sample some tasty vegetarian food in a meditative environment, why not visit one of the cafés and restaurants run by our members?
- Annam Brahma • Indian and Vegetarian food – voted Queens’s best Vegetarian restaurant! • 84-43 164th Street, Jamaica Hills
- Panorama of My Silence-Heart Café • Vegetarian Café • 84-73 Parsons Blvd, Jamaica. There are frequently spiritual and cultural events of all kinds taking place here, so it is always worthwhile calling or checking in to find out what’s happening!
- Smile of the Beyond • New York’s oldest vegetarian breakfast diner; opened in 1972 • 8614 Parsons Blvd. Jamaica
Members of our Centre also have quite a few other enterprises around the Jamaica Hills area run clothing boutique, a health food store and a stationery store and more! Sri Chinmoy would refer to them as ‘divine enterprises’ because we really do try and see and serve the divine inside each customer.