Learn to Meditate
Free meditation classes in the 5 boroughs of New York City
Learn simple, powerful meditation techniques and ancient spiritual wisdom for the modern world.
Please click on a borough or region below to see the schedule, if there are no classes listed, kindly use our contact form and we’ll let you know when the next class is happening:
The Bronx >>
All classes are:
- Free of charge
- Suitable for beginner and experienced meditators
- Given by students of spiritual Master Sri Chinmoy
What is Meditation?
Meditation is a journey of self-discovery. By making the mind calm and quiet, we can go deep within and discover who we really are.
By doing so, we find lasting peace and happiness and learn how to effectively solve our life-problems and realize our highest aspirations.
Who are we?
Our instructors studied meditation with noted spiritual Master Sri Chinmoy for many years.
Our meditation classes are given by members of the Sri Chinmoy Centre – people drawn from many different walks of life who share a common interest in meditation.
What do we teach in our classes?
- Breathing techniques – how to use calming breath to put out the fire of emotions and thoughts.
- Mantra – how to properly use the repetition of spiritually resonant phrases to calm the mind.
- Heart meditation – focusing on the heart center, the safest and most effective energy center (chakra).
- Visualization techniques – guided meditations to invoke a peaceful and expanding inner landscape.
- Illumining life habits – we are often painfully unaware of our own destructive habits and tendencies that continually bring unrest into our lives. Methods for awareness and transformation of bad habits are shared, as well as secrets for maneuvering through a challenging contemporary lifestyle. Tips are shared for more spiritually grounded and productive living. You’ll learn how to get centered in the city.
Meditation books and CD’s
A definitive guide to meditation
Meditation: Man-Perfection in God-Satisfaction is presented with the simplicity and clarity that is the hallmark of Sri Chinmoy’s writings. This book will take you from the beginning stages of concentration and meditation, through the advanced practice of contemplation.
261 pages, $12
Flute Music for Meditation: These solo flute compositions were played by Sri Chinmoy during a high state of meditation. Herein lies the love, power, wisdom, peace and freedom that can be discovered by listening to his music. This is the perfect ambient music for meditation.